For the past few years, Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts has performed its original ballet The Carpenter's Son in December. The ballet is a touching, thoughtful reflection on the Christmas story, and for many who have been in the audience over the past few years, the ballet has become a something of a Christmas tradition.
This December, Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts is maintaining that Christmas tradition - but with something of a twist. Since Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker is such an important part of our holiday tradition in the U.S. these days, we decided to create our own Nutcracker. Our own version of the classic ballet will feature the traditional, classical score paired with brand-new choreography by Ballet 5:8 Artistic Director Julianna Slager and a poignant story that is in keeping with Ballet 5:8's mission to share meaningful stories through dance.
Did you know?
We are holding open auditions for dancers ages 9-14 this year! Participating in Beyond the Nutcracker is a great way for students to gain rehearsal and performing experience in the context of a professional-quality production of a classical ballet. Students need not be enrolled in Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts training programs to audition and can continue attending classes at their home studio throughout the production.
The open audition for the 2015 production of Beyond the Nutcracker will take place on Saturday, August 22 at the Ballet 5:8 studios in Frankfort, IL and is open to dancers ages 9-14. Students attending the audition should have completed or be in the process of completing at least an intermediate level of a classical ballet syllabus in a pre-professional ballet training program. Generally, this means taking ballet technique and other classes at least 2-3 days per week. Pre-registration for the audition is strongly recommended!
Orientation and Q&A
REHEARSALS AND PERFORMANCES
Students auditioning to participate in Beyond the Nutcracker should be prepared to make the following commitments:
- Attend all scheduled rehearsals on Saturday afternoons between 1:00-5:00pm.
- Attend rehearsals on Tuesday nights between 6:30-8:30pm as needed (only applies to some roles; students will be notified along with audition results).
- Attend tech week rehearsals between 5:00-9:00pm, Monday-Friday and all day Saturday the week leading up to the performances.
- Attend all scheduled dress rehearsals and performances, except in the event of dancing a role that has been double-cast.
- Pay a participation fee between $85-$135 (fees vary based on roles).
- Agree to and abide by the Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts Code of Conduct during participation.
Students already attending Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts' training programs are not required to audition in order to participate in Beyond the Nutcracker. Students enrolled in Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts' Children's Dance Division ballet classes may register to participate in the performance along with their class. Students enrolled in our Pre-Professional Program automatically have the opportunity to participate in performances based on their commitment to the Student Ensemble Program.